Saturday, July 30, 2016

Do you run?

Don't worry - we'll return to your regularly scheduled pictures of kids tomorrow...

So living in park city one of the very common opening questions when you're getting to know someone for the first time is "do you run?". I imagine it's kinda like asking if someone from Minnesota plays hockey - a local's way of trying to find something in common with a new acquaintance which feels like a pretty safe bet since the answer is so often yes.

The interesting thing is how I find that it's a very hard question for me to answer. If someone asked me "do you play volleyball" I'd answer yes without any hesitation even though I haven't touched a ball in months, yet even after running several times a week now since the snow melted, I still feel like have to qualify my yes to the "do you run" question. "I'm starting to", or "yes, but slowly".

I think I hit a tipping point today though. Earlier this week I got an email at work begging for women to run the 5K for my company's team at the Salt Lake Corporate Games. Having just come off training for a longer distance I felt fine volunteering. It wasn't until after volunteering that I read the details and figured out that times would count. I had just stumbled my way into the world of having others care how fast you were - yikes.

Luckily, my teammates were awesome.



And even though the course was bonkers
(just when you thought you were done they sent you to take a lap around a soccer field, with an ultimate Frisbee game happening)


we still managed to have a good time

and finish

in good enough time to bring home the gold :o)

I had a PR by several minutes, and while I don't know yet my actual time or place I'm still really proud of the way it went. I think I'm ready to start just flat out saying yes :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment